Ogilvy on Advertising - Book Review
After leaving product development behind, I never suspected that my best work would be in marketing. For whatever reason, multiple people found the courage to give me the reins on a new product / brand launch. The first three big hits were:
- Leading the Next Generation of Network Manager at SunConnect
- Securing the Wireless Internet at Certicom
- Multi-service Network Infrastructure at Avaya
Looking back on these today, would they have been better or worse with the use of conversational artificial intelligence? Realistically, it wouldn't have mattered that much. Each launch had unique product value that satisfied critical customer need.
I know this because much later I bought and read Ogilvy on Advertising by David Ogilvy, hoping to find ways to improve. Lesson learned? Each of these launches started from a "big idea." And from intuition, I had done what Ogilvy stressed.
1) Be persuasive. Get people to buy your product.
2) Be simple. Write clearly and concisely. Tell the truth.
3) Be visual. Use images that emotionally connect with different buyers at once.
I gave Bard the task to review the book for you now. Bard doesn't know my direct experience with the application of these first principles. It doesn't know to say that product strategy is core to success. But it does do a bang up review in ten seconds.
Review David Ogilvy on Advertising from the point of view of a product marketing person in 2023. What can we learn from his print ad experience that will help us sell products with digital marketing technology?
David Ogilvy was one of the most successful advertising copywriters of all time. His work helped to shape the modern advertising industry, and his principles are still relevant today. In his book, Ogilvy on Advertising, he shares his insights on what makes effective advertising.
One of the key lessons that we can learn from Ogilvy is that advertising should be persuasive. It should not just inform people about a product, but it should also make them want to buy it. Ogilvy believed that the best way to do this was to create ads that were interesting, memorable, and provocative.
Another important lesson from Ogilvy is that advertising should be relevant to the target audience. Ads that are not relevant will simply be ignored. Ogilvy believed that the best way to ensure that an ad is relevant is to understand the target audience's needs and desires.
Finally, Ogilvy believed that advertising should be simple. He said that "the simpler the ad, the better." This is because simple ads are easier to understand and remember.
While Ogilvy's book was written in the 1960s, his principles are still relevant today. In fact, they are even more important in the digital age, where there is so much competition for attention.
Here are some specific things that we can learn from Ogilvy's print ad experience that will help us sell products with digital marketing technology:
- Use strong visuals. Ogilvy was a master of using visuals to capture attention and convey a message. In the digital age, visuals are even more important than ever. This is because people are bombarded with information on a daily basis, and they are more likely to stop and look at something that is visually appealing.
- Tell a story. People are more likely to remember an ad if it tells a story. This is because stories are engaging and memorable. When you tell a story in your ad, make sure that it is relevant to the product that you are selling and that it creates a strong emotional connection with the viewer.
- Use humor. Humor is a great way to break through the clutter and get people's attention. However, it is important to use humor in a way that is relevant to the product that you are selling and that does not offend the viewer.
- Be clear about your call to action. What do you want the viewer to do after they see your ad? Do you want them to visit your website? Do you want them to sign up for your email list? Make sure that your call to action is clear and easy to understand.
By following these principles, you can create digital marketing campaigns that are persuasive, relevant, and simple. This will help you to sell more products and achieve your marketing goals.
Here are some additional tips for using digital marketing technology to sell products:
- Use social media. Social media is a great way to connect with potential customers and promote your products. Make sure that you are active on the social media platforms that your target audience uses.
- Use email marketing. Email marketing is a great way to stay in touch with potential customers and promote your products. Make sure that you are sending out relevant and timely emails.
- Use paid advertising. Paid advertising can be a great way to reach a wider audience and promote your products. However, it is important to use paid advertising wisely and to track your results.
By following these tips, you can use digital marketing technology to sell more products and achieve your marketing goals.